January 21, 2019

Romantic Love in Little Women

It's been ages since I put down a book just to cover my face with a pillow and shout over romantic scenes between fictional characters.

It happened during the last a hundred pages of this book.

Beside the love to family and friends, this book has successfully drawn me into every emotion in conflicts between the sisters and their love interests.

Meg, the oldest, was the first to get married. When John proposed her, I was moved by his saying, that love is something one can learn about instead of a thing that one could only accidentally fall into.

"I'll wait, and in the meantime, you could be learning to like me. Would it be a very hard lesson, dear?"
"Not if I chose to learn it, but.."
"Please choose to learn, Meg. I love to teach, and this is easier than German," broke in John, getting possession of the other hand, so that she had no way of hiding her face as he bent to look into it.   
Jo, the second oldest, was proposed by her best friend, Laurie. Though his confession is an immature one, I can truly sympathize for his longing for Jo's love and how his poor heart was broken into pieces when Jo, very maturely, told him that she could only love him as a friend.

".. I only loved you all the more, and I worked hard to please you, and I gave up billiards and everything you didn't like, and waited and never complained, for I hoped you'd love me, though I'm not half good enough.. (page 558)."
"I shall always be fond of you, very fond indeed, as a friend, but I'll never marry you, and the sooner you believe it the better for both of us--so now! (page 563)"
By the very end of the chapter, Jo had become even more of a lady who speaks so wisely and  respectfully, that when her lover asked her to wait for the right time for them to marry, she uttered,
"Yes, I know I can, for we love one another, and that makes all the rest easy to bear. I have my duty, also, and my work. I couldn't enjoy myself if I neglected them even for you, so there's no need of hurry of impatience (page 737)."
It is so refreshing to find a work of fiction which young girls as  the main characters are evolving into better people by their own struggles, learning to embrace their flaws and cherish their self-love, before stumbling upon love to their lovers.

As a reader, it is important for me to connect their stories with mine. Though I don't know much about this type of love, I did experience it a few times. They were shallow yet exciting. Like the one in forth grade, the one in tenth grade, the one in first years of college and the one in final years of college.

I no longer believe in shallow and exciting stuffs, for they might vanish in a blink of an eye. Like what this book has told me, that it takes time, learning, patience and pain as an exchange for something as good as love. 
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment