August 24, 2020

The day we met

Nothing unusual on the first day we met. No sparks. No blossoms. No blushes. Nothing.

It was a sunny day in August last year. I wore my ordinary outfit, I didn’t notice what he wore, but I'm pretty sure he wore something ordinary too. It was our first day in the class. As how new things are, everything makes me excited. The new friends, new lecturers, new classroom, new subjects, the new everything. 

It was in the central library that I noticed him for the first time. He sat in the back, by himself, mentioning book titles to the librarian way in the front of the room. No one responded as no one caught his low voice. I am low-voiced myself and I know how it feels to not be listened to just because your voice is not loud enough.

Days later after the library trip, in the classroom, we were grouped together and that was how I knew his name. 

But nothing unusual on the first time we say each other’s names. No tensions. No thrills. No anticipations. Nothing. 

My days in the class didn’t last long. So did his and my other classmates’. They had to stop having real classes due to the pandemic, but for me, it was because I decided to leave. I leave the new class, new friends, new lecturers, new subjects, the new everything. They now become my old everything.

But above them all, one stays. 

He stays. 

Here’s when things become unusual. 

.

Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment